Monday, 12 October 2015

Task 02- Audiences/Age Ranges

I have been asked to identify one general ‘art style’ that would be suitable for each of these audiences:

• Information/Reference title - Aimed at 9-11 years olds.

• Baby/Toddler - First Objects Book.

• Picture book - Aimed at 3-6 year olds.


Information/Reference title - Aimed at 9-11 years olds

Illustration by Nicholas Blechman

This is an info-graphic from a series about animals and this particular graphic is about food chains and animal diets. I think that this is suitable for the age range because of art style- it is not too detailed so that the focus is more on the information that the imagery is trying to convey. The text is concise and easy to understand. The imagery used is also simplistic using familiar objects like a fork to explain that it is about food. However there are some more detailed diagrams with arrows and meters since the age range here is 9-11 so they can understand more. 

Baby/Toddler - First Objects Book

Roy Campbell - My Day

This is a small book about a day in the life of a toddler. This book fits into the age range well because of the very little amount of text. The art style is friendly with vivid colours and the sort of style you would see in a cartoon on tv. Each object in the book has it's name next to it and allows some interaction for the reader; on the lower picture you can see the text asking the reader to find all the objects on the page. This creates a good method of learning each object. 


Picture book - Aimed at 3-6 year olds



Axel Scheffler- The Gruffalo

I think that this book is great for this age range because of the more detailed art style and more involved story. The art style is really nice to look at with bold colours and think outlines. As you can see in the top picture there are also varying style in how the images are shown to not detract from the text. I think that the fact there is more text is an important feature of this book because at the age this book is aimed at, the child needs to learn how to read better. I remember reading this when I was younger and enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment